Cathedral/Tombstone Radio

The last thing that required touching up was the gilded trim, which I was satisfied with here.

The last thing that required touching up was the gilded trim, which I was satisfied with here.

Earlier work; I liked how the frayed wood was coming along. It was an application of two Musgrave noise textures, which are generally used for terrain, but have a lot of uses outside of that.

Earlier work; I liked how the frayed wood was coming along. It was an application of two Musgrave noise textures, which are generally used for terrain, but have a lot of uses outside of that.

Some progress. The outer Musgrave noise felt like a bit much, so I extruded the outer edge of the radio and gave it a darker, lacquered look. There's still noise there, but it's at, at most, an eighth of the intensity.

Some progress. The outer Musgrave noise felt like a bit much, so I extruded the outer edge of the radio and gave it a darker, lacquered look. There's still noise there, but it's at, at most, an eighth of the intensity.

A video of the completed model, minor post-processing for denoising (needed it done in under a day, so my sample count is lower), and a very mild fog glow.

Lighting bake of the tricker parts, with direct lighting

Lighting bake of the tricker parts, with direct lighting

More versatile lighting bake of the trickier parts, with indirect light only.

More versatile lighting bake of the trickier parts, with indirect light only.

This is the normal map, highlighting areas generated by the Musgrave noise.

This is the normal map, highlighting areas generated by the Musgrave noise.

I decided to expand on these materials and make an old GE desk radio, too... no idea what I'll do with it yet, and it literally just occurred to me that these things don't have plugs! Something for later.

I decided to expand on these materials and make an old GE desk radio, too... no idea what I'll do with it yet, and it literally just occurred to me that these things don't have plugs! Something for later.

Putting it in red/cyan anaglyphic 3D was a total success—man, I thought I hated that corner geometry *before*, but now I know exactly how disappointed/ticked-off at it I should really be. What an age we live in!

Putting it in red/cyan anaglyphic 3D was a total success—man, I thought I hated that corner geometry *before*, but now I know exactly how disappointed/ticked-off at it I should really be. What an age we live in!